The First Providence Baptist Church was organized and constituted a Baptist Church from the Thankful Baptist Church of Augusta, Georgia in the year of our Lord 1860. The original site of the church was Hamburg, South Carolina, where the church building remained until the flood of 1929 forced it's move from the old landmark to the present site.
The church has had fourteen pastors. Rev. P.R. Turner was called to pastor in 1910. The church progressed and grew stronger under his leadership. When the flood came in 1929, the church was under the leadership of Rev. E.W. Williams. Shortly after the flood, Senior Deacon Jackson Stokes took over leadership of the church. Temporary quarters were set up on the hill in various homes to be used for cottage prayer meeting and Sunday School until a sanctuary could be erected.
Because of the Depression, progress toward erecting a sanctuary was slow. When construction was almosted halted, Deacon Andrew Jay gave the deed for all the land that he owned in order that lumber could be purchased to complete the sanctuary.
The help of Almighty God and the support and cooperative spirit of the officers, members and friends completed the sanctuary in 1931. During the November Conference in 1931, Rev. W.W. Weaver was called to be pastor. Rev. Weaver served faithfully for thirteen months after which Deacons Daniel Brown and J.C. Stephens led the church.
A special conference was called in March 1933 when Rev. D.E. Jennings accepted the position of Pastor. Many improvements were made under his leadership. The church was celotexed, light fixtures installed, the exterior was bricked and many members were added. Rev. Jennings was called from labor to reward in 1947.
The church was blessed in 1948 when Rev. W.B. Coleman Jr., one of the sons of the church, was called to be our Pastor. Rev. Coleman worked untiringly for thirty-one years. Among the accomplishments of his administration was the organization of the Women Trustee Board and the W.B. Coleman Youth Choir. The purchase of pulpit furniture, electric fans, bulletin board, installation of carpet, water fountain, hand rails, church roof renovation, redecoration of the sanctuary's interior and exterior including the construction of restrooms, baptismal pools, the educational annex, the addition of many members and changes of worship service hour were also accomplished during Rev. Coleman's tenure. He answered The Master's Call to come to his heavenly home in February 1979.
In April 1980, Rev. J.E. Freeman was called to be our Pastor. Under his leadership our Sunday Worship hour was changed from 12 Noon to 11A.M. and Sunday School from 10:30 A.M. to 9:45 A.M.. Three deacons were ordained and a deaconess board was organized. Rev. Freeman served as Pastor for one year.
In September 1981, Rev. Tyrone Powell Jones was called as our Pastor. Rev. Jones was an asset to the church with his spiritual insight, dynamic personality, and versatility. Under Rev. Jones' administration, communication was improved with the church members. A concerted effort was made to keep the public informed of church activities. His other accomplishments include combining the Gospel Choir, complete renovation of the sanctuary's interior, including central heat and air conditioning, refurbishing pulpit furniture, purchasing new pews for the entire church, reorganizing the Pastor's Aid Club and ordaining three deacons. Rev. Jones served as pastor for seventeen months.
Rev. Alexander Pope Jr. was elected Pastor in September 1984. He was officially installed on Sunday, October 7, 1984. Rev. Pope, a prayerful man of foresight and vision and a counselor who has served faithfully to promote spiritual growth and to achieve unity among the members. The growth of the church is evident in the many accomplishments made under Rev. Pope's able leadership. The areas of Christian Education, revitalization of Bible study classes and organization of Deacons and Deaconess training classes have all flourished under his leadership. Rap sessions are also provided for a healthy exchange of ideas. Rev. Pope also instituted the Dea-Aide Program, whereby men are trained to become Deacons. In the area of physical growth the following improvements have been made: Pastor's study carpeted and furnished, central air conditioning has been installed in the Education Annex, a church sign has been installed, a secretary's office has been added, the library has been organized, a food bank was created, and the church boundary lines have been cleared and the grass seeded. A church bus and two vans were purchased and are used regularly to facilitate the transportation for church attendees and related activities.
Growth in other areas include the organization of a boy's baseball team, Girl Scouts, Beautification Club, Male Chorus, Youth Baptist Fellowship (YBF), and the "Rebuilding the Black Family" workshop. He is also responsible for the development of a Brotherhood, Girls Club, Marriage and Singles Ministry, Summer Enrichment Program, Church Daycare, and the restored Junior Usher Board.
The church indebtedness was paid off in December 1985 and Rev. Pope encourages tithing over extra fund-raising activities. Under Rev. Pope, Fourteen Deacons have been ordained and one minister licensed and we broke ground on a new sanctuary on June 30, 1991. Through the aid of the Holy Spirit, much prayer and faith in God, we dedicated the sanctuary on the 4th Sunday in August 1992. TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
To date, The Church has ordained 13 Ministers, licensed 13 Ministers and ordained seventy nine Deacons. Twenty-three are living and fifty-six have fallen in the shadow of death. "Blessed are the saints who die in the Lord."
Two churches are an outgrowth of First Providence: Second Providence Baptist Church, organized on the 1st Sunday in December of 1899, and Carpentersville Baptist Church, organized in March of 1925.